Yes, be honest. Have you ever gotten so frustrated at your computer that you simply had to vent by uttering a few cuss words? If you haven’t – or have made yourself believe that you haven’t – then you are actually part of the majority. According to a survey conducted by Avira, 61 per cent of computer users have not cussed or even yelled at a computing machine that is failing to cooperate. Out of 14,284 users who took the survey, only 39 per cent admitted to having “lost it” because of a malfunctioning computer.
The survey included several other questions including the following:
- 39% – Cursed or yelled at the computer out loud?
- 38% – No! I would never yell at my computer, it is too sensitive. (I friendly try to encourage it working again…)?
- 11% – Thought Wished for catastrophe to strike the company that makes your operating system software or computer?
- 9% – Hit your computer with another object (fist, baseball bat, etc.)?
- 3% – Actually thrown the computer to the ground or against a desk or other piece of furniture?
I am not really surprised about the low numbers for the last three items. After all, computers do cost money, and unless you’re totally in need of anger management therapy, you would not want to throw money out of the window. Either that or you have a huge wad of cash stowed away somewhere and you don’t care if you had to buy a new machine.
So now, really, be honest – have you ever done any of these things above? I know have at least uttered a word of frustration or two!