The Truth Behind Mobile Apps and Their Success
How often do you download mobile apps? Are you one of those who check App Shopper on a regular basis to see which apps are available for free or or at a discounted price? On that note, how much do you spend on apps?
For sure, the answer will depend largely on the habits of the user, but you might just be surprised to find out how much people actually patronize mobile apps. As a result, the fact is that being a mobile app developer might not really be as glamorous a life as some might think.
BGR recently posted an infographic titled “Wake Up Call“, focusing on the truth behind success with mobile apps. It might not be as easy as one would think!
Here are some interesting numbers.
- 80% do not generate enough revenue to support a standalone business
- 59% do not generate enough revenue to break even on development costs
- 68% earned $5,000 or less with their most successful app
- Top earners spend 14% of their time on marketing
- $30,000 – or thereabouts – is the average amount spent by top earners on marketing
Bottom line? It seems that mobile app developers need to spend in order to earn money. It is not that surprising, is it? One, that is an age old concept in business. Two, there are countless mobile apps in the market that one has to do something extra to get the word out about their app.
Here is the full infographic.
So are you still dreaming about making it big in the mobile app scene? You might want to take these things into consideration, on top of your brilliant idea for an app. Sometimes, brilliance might not be enough to make you money!