We’ve heard of stories – many true and just as many false – about the adverse effects of radio waves on the human body. Ever since mobile phones came out ages ago (or what seems like ages ago), people have been making speculations about how bad they can be for us. Of course, even those who conducted scientifically sound studies could not make solid conclusions if only because the effects might not be evident decades later.
Do you still remember those days when you could go for at least three days without having to worry about how much battery juice you still had on your mobile phone? I do, but the memory is quickly fading. Anyone with a smartphone has probably lamented, at least once, about how often he or she has to plug it in. I know people who do not last half a day without having to resort to an additional battery pack.
It sure is a “first world problem”, but having a smartphone really does make you overly concerned about having access to power. Otherwise, you’ll just have a brick in your hands.
Unsurprisingly, scientists have been looking at ways to provide solutions that will be as convenient as possible. One of these is the result of the work of some guys at Wake Forest University.
I don’t know if you got suckered in by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter, but it is rather hard not to at least want to read/watch the franchise once. I remember burying my nose into the books – well, the first several ones. I have not watched all the movies, but there is something to be said about the story of this young boy with that lightning scar on his forehead.
For sure, one of the things that has been the topic of many a debate or discussion are the headaches that Harry Potter experiences. Whatever the “real” reason for those headaches may be, it seems that real life science might have something for us.
I have been called forgetful so many times that I do not remember how often it has happened. I have to admit that I do have my Dory ((Finding Nemo)) moments. I am sure you have yours, too. How many times have you forgotten where you have put your keys? I bet you have forgotten where you have parked your car as well. These things do happen to ordinary people, and there is nothing we can do about it. Or is there?
This little girl is THE man! Clara Lazen, who is only 10 years old, has created a new molecule in science class, albeit accidentally. She lives in Kansas City, Missouri and created the new molecule by chance when her science teacher, Kenneth Boehr, handed out your run-of-the-mill balls and sticks.
Boehr gave his students balls representing the atoms of carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen, presumably to “play” with them. The result of Clara’s “playing” was totally unexpected: the new molecule dubbed Tetranitratoxycarbon.