If you own a BlackBerry device you either have it connected with your company’s BlackBerry Enterprises Server to access your email or on BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to connect your IMAP, POP3 email accounts. If you’re BlackBerry is tied up with BIS, expect some downtime to happen during the wee hours of the morning as RIM will be upgrading BIS to version 3.0.
The scheduled BIS network maintenance will happen 0500 CT/0600 EDT on March 28 and will last for four hours. All BIS customers will be affected by the upgrade – meaning you may be unable to send or receive messages, view email attachments, and activate email service. In addition, wireless service providers and device resellers may be unable to create subscriber accounts or provision services for subscribers.
And what do you get after the upgrade? The BIS version 3.0 promises the following new features:
- enhanced Google Mail integrations through synchronization of read, unread, and sent email message status for new Google Mail integration
- enhanced Google Mail Plug-in to allow you to create and delete labels
- additional language support for Basque, Catalan, Galician, Romanian
- increased attachment compatibility – OpenDocument Presentations, OpenDocument Spreadsheets, OpenDocument Text, Open Document Text Templates, Windows Media Audio
- Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (xHTML) Support for non Thick Clients for richer user experience
- Device Switch Revalidation to optimize email setup and deactivation experience
- Hosted Email Address Passwords
- Send Delivery Receipts