In a galant effort to bring in renewed interest to newspaper service, at least via the online platform, New York Times has launched its Times Skimmer application. Ironically, this new application will remind you of how it feels to read daily news as if you were reading the traditional newspaper.
NYT’s Times Skimmer mimics the way you browse through newspaper spreadsheets. Times Skimmer gives you NYT Online in a grid format displaying headlines and short summaries on individual grids.
Designed to fit and move on different screen sizes, Times Skimmer will easily adopt to the settings of different browsers. You can select how you want to read through the news from 7 different display options. These display options include:
- stories displayed in grid layout
- content displayed based on editorial ranked feeds
- list format for headlines
- classic typeface Helvetica display option for content
- content displayed on a black background
- headlines and brief summaries in a wrap-around layout
- headlines, bylines and summaries displayed in a word magnet-like layout
And to make it really more like the actual newspaper, Times Skimmer uses the same font used in the newspaper. This ensures that you won’t miss reading New York Times on paper at all.