The History of Computing: Microsoft vs. Apple
No, this is not an infographics site, and I know I just published an infographic yesterday. This one is too good to pass up on, though.
What is the first name, or brand, that comes to name when you think about computers/computing? Without a doubt, it is either Microsoft or Apple.1 Arguably, these two companies have played the largest parts in the world of computers.
Computer geeks and number crunchers, here is the perfect infographic to
waste spend some time on today. Go back in time and rediscover how computers as we know them today came into existence. Reaffirm your knowledge of the roles that Microsoft and Apple have played. And in case this is the first time that you are going to encounter these bits of information, then you’re going to have a blast.
Some of the more interesting points:
- Windows XP still has the largest market share with 40.7 percent.
- In the Internet browsers war, Microsoft one ups Apple with the Internet Explorer (48%). Apple’s Safari only has 5%.
- While the Apple iPhone seems to be the most popular phone these days, Microsoft still has a larger market share with Windows OS at 26%. Apple’s iOS only has 7%.
- When it comes to mp3 players, though, Apple is the undisputed leader with 76% market share. Microsoft has a measly 1%.
For tons more info – numbers, dates, and what have you – scroll down and enjoy this immense infographic.
- You may have a different answer if you’re part of specific niches, but in general, I am willing to bet that it’s going to be either of the two. [↩]